ATLANTA (July 1, 2019) – ASHRAE is pleased to announce the release of a new strategic plan to guide the society’s work over the next five years. The ASHRAE 2019-2024 Strategic Plan describes the society’s core values, mission and vision for future success, while also identifying areas where ASHRAE will direct its attention and resources over the next several years.
The previous plan, released in 2014, resulted in several significant accomplishments, including the extension of ASHRAE’s global presence, a greater role in the residential sector and higher levels of volunteer involvement. The new plan’s initiatives reflect the society’s longstanding commitment to the HVAC&R industry, while leveraging the opportunities and addressing the challenges that are taking place in the fast-evolving built environment.
The new strategic plan outlines two initiative areas:
- Built Environment of the Future
- Resilient Buildings and Communities
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Future of ASHRAE
- Organizational Streamlining
- Improve Chapter Engagement, Capacity and Support
"In developing our new strategic plan, we closely considered the changing landscape of our industry as well as the diversity of our membership,” said Darryl K. Boyce, P.Eng., 2019-20 ASHRAE President. “We sought wide-ranging involvement from ASHRAE members and key industry organizations on how to best position ASHRAE to meet our internal and external challenges and the result is a concise, straight-forward plan based on the values that have motivated the members of our society for close to 125 years.”
Some key action items outlined in the plan include:
- Promote best practices that enable adaptability, resilience and recovery of buildings and communities related to the challenges of the design and construction process.
- Accelerate thought leadership and understanding of indoor environmental quality (IEQ) and its implications for occupants’ health and wellness.
- Streamline the organization’s internal governance to adapt to regional differences and allocate valued time and resources to the most impactful pursuits.
- Evaluate and improve methods to better engage chapters, regions and the members they serve in an integrated way.
For more information on the 2019-2024 ASHRAE Strategic Plan, please visit ashrae.org/strategicplan.
Founded in 1894, ASHRAE is a global professional society committed to serve humanity by advancing the arts and sciences of heating ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration and their allied fields.
As an industry leader in research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE and its members are dedicated to promoting a healthy and sustainable built environment for all, through strategic partnerships with organizations in the HVAC&R community and across related industries.